My Next Chapter

Effective today, I will be leaving Polaris Venture Partners, and setting out to launch a new seed firm.

While I am excited by the prospect of building something new, it is difficult to leave the partnership I have been part of for 12 years.  I feel lucky to have had the chance to learn the venture business from two of the industry’s finest practitioners, and to have worked with a remarkable group of partners.  But over the past few years I have grown a passion for working with young entrepreneurs at the very earliest stage of conceiving and launching a venture. I have certainly had the chance to do that at Polaris, whether it be through Dogpatch Labs or making seed investments, but now I’ve decided I want to make this my exclusive focus.

My Polaris partners and I have both come to the conclusion that pursuing this focus is best done in a vehicle other than Polaris funds.  While Polaris will certainly continue to dedicate a significant portion of its funds to seed investing through Dogpatch Labs, and other similar efforts, I want to focus exclusively on super-early seed stage investments.  Polaris’s diversified strategy has been and will continue to be an incredibly successful formula, but my partners and I have come to realize that a dedicated seed fund is the best platform from which to pursue my passion for the super early stage.

I am deeply gratified that Polaris is supporting the formation of my new venture, and look forward to what I hope will be numerous opportunities to co-invest with my Polaris partners

37 Comments

1. Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

wow. congrats on the big step.

2. Posted September 15, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Hey Mike,

Best of luck with the new fund.

3. Posted September 15, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Congrats Mike! I think I might have your first mobile app for the new fund. A mobile loyalty program! 510.333.9887

4. Jason
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Mike! I am a 3rd Year Law Student and aspiring Venture Capitalist. Like you, very early seed stage investing is my biggest passion. Do you need any help? What free time, skills, and experience I have, I am happy to offer to you. Best of luck with the new venture, and if you are looking for a nights and weekends type of person to help get off the ground, please let me know – thurston819@gmail.com

5. Posted September 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Congrats Mike! Are you moving to the west coast or are you still going to fly back and forth.

6. Posted September 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Best of luck with your new fund, Mike. Let’s co-invest!

7. Colin Brauns
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on your new fund! We’re a unique startup incubator here in Cambridge, MA and would be interested in talking with you further about your investment philosophy for these early-stage companies.

8. Posted September 15, 2011 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Best of luck Mike. Congrats on your new venture. You rock bud. 🙂

9. Bob Hirshland
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Congratulations to my baby brother. Wishing you tremendous success on your next endeavor. I might add that this is my frist response on a blog. Seems like an appropriate time to start.

10. tim dibble
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

congrats Bud!

11. Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Congratulations. Always fun to do your own thing.

12. Terence Kawaja
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Congratulations and best of luck Mike. Going out on your own…..hmmm…..now that’s a good idea!

13. Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Mike! It’s a very exciting time!

14. dean denhart
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Hey Mike….good luck…..sometime in the future our paths should cross again!

15. Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

Really excited for you. Congratulations!

16. Posted September 16, 2011 at 4:31 am | Permalink

Congrats! We haven’t met but several friends speak highly of you.

17. Posted September 16, 2011 at 7:03 am | Permalink

Hearing today is all about Technology and the advances seen in recent years. It has been created to house up-to-date discussion on hearing aids. There is a link between the two it could possibly be because of two reasons. One, those who develop hearing loss as they get older tends to be more socially isolated and less active. Two, perhaps “the strain of decoding sounds over the years may overwhelm the brains of people with hearing loss, leaving them more vulnerable to dementia. Thanks for sharing…
    hearing tests

18. Nirav Tolia
    Posted September 16, 2011 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Congrats! You’re a great investor and great guy and no doubt will be very successful in your new gig!

19. Posted September 16, 2011 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Will be great to see you more out here!

20. Posted September 16, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Congrats! It’s always fun to get in at the beginning.

21. Ramesh
    Posted September 16, 2011 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Congrats Mike. I like what you do to inspire budding entrepreneurs. One more great step. Best wishes.

22. michael arrington
    Posted September 16, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Congratulations on this next step, Mike! I look forward to working with you.

23. Posted September 16, 2011 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Great feeling. Enjoy it and Godspeed.

24. Posted September 16, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Congrats Mike. I saw you at TC Disrupt, just in passing. Guess I should have stopped and talked 🙂 I like seed stage too. That is where the action is, and if you choose well, the best financial return.

Good luck!!

25. Posted September 16, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

it’s an exciting move mike! congrats.

26. Posted September 16, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

nice work. i am sure you will enjoy it.

27. Posted September 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

We’re certain that you’ve learned quite a great deal during your tenure at Polaris, and that Polaris gained a great deal from having you aboard . Best wishes to you as you embark on this new entrepreneurial odyssey.

28. Posted September 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Congrats and good luck buddy. 🙂

29. Posted September 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Congrats Mike. Now you will know what it’s like to be an entrepreneur. Wishing you much success.

30. Don MacKenzie
    Posted September 17, 2011 at 3:38 am | Permalink

Hi Mike
    Congrats on your move and the very best of luck with the new venture.

31. Posted September 17, 2011 at 7:26 am | Permalink

Great news, Mike! Do you plan to focus on startups in the Boston/Cambridge area, or also other geographies? What about Europe?

32. Posted September 17, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Congrats Mike- great news

33. Posted September 17, 2011 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Well done Mike!!!

34. Posted September 28, 2011 at 5:11 am | Permalink

I’m really impressed along with your writing skills as smartly as with the format on your blog. Is this a paid subject or did you customize it your self? Anyway stay up the excellent quality writing, it?s uncommon to peer a great blog like this one nowadays..

35. Posted September 30, 2011 at 9:53 am | Permalink

The beauty of these blogging engines and CMS platforms is the lack of limitations and ease of manipulation that allows developers to implement rich content and ‘skin’ the site in such a way that with very little effort one would never notice what it is making the site tick all without limiting content and effectiveness.

bébé

36. Posted October 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my weblog thus i came to ?go back the choose?.I am trying to find things to improve my website!I guess its adequate to use a few of your ideas!!

37. Posted October 6, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Just catching up on this news, would love to hear more next time you’re in LA. Congrats on the move!

7 Trackbacks